Redwood Country Kids Club’s School Age Child Care Program is a non-academic, recreational program for children in Kindergarten through 8th grade. Our emphasis is to provide a safe, fun-filled, home-like atmosphere. RCKC was created to provide comprehensive child care within the framework of quality developmental standards. While building a sense of community for all children and families, our opportunities for independent decision making and social interaction while challenging both physical and cognitive skills. RCKC strives to create an environment that offers children a setting of warmth and security while fostering independence and initiative by allowing freedom of choice and the assumption of responsibility within set limits. RCKC’s primary goal is to provide a non-discriminatory, friendly place where all children have the chance to grow and to respect and enjoy one another. We place an emphasis on individual growth by nurturing responsible social behavior, negotiation skills and problem solving though interaction with competent, understanding staff. We believe that childhood is to be celebrated and that individual differences in cultural background, interests, and abilities should be recognized, respected and celebrated as well. We strive to achieve our goals through the following principles and activities:
- Children’s interests are the basis for our curriculum
- Children interact in both age-appropriate and mixed-age groups.
- We respect and celebrate the various cultures of our children and their families.
- Children are encouraged to include, rather than exclude, other children in activities regardless of age, sex or ability.
- Daily activities are provided in a safe and supportive environment and include age-appropriate crafts, games, outside play, and quiet time.
- Children have a snack with a teacher every day to provide the opportunity for teachers to become intimately acquainted with individual children, their interests and their needs.
- Staff encourages children to explore, solve problems and take risks in a supportive and safe environment.